How to Obtain a TWIC Card

A Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card contains fingerprints and photos of a port worker so that they can enter American ports without going through security. Applying for a TWIC card from Transport and Security Administration (TSA) can be a long process, but it is quite straightforward. To verify your identity you must fill in an application before going to enrollment center. If you are rejected, then there is an appeal process. The card is worth waiting, because it can save time and effort at work.

Completing Pre-Enrollment

Start 8-12 weeks before you need the card.

The TWIC application process can be long, and the application will take at least 4-6 weeks to be processed. For these reasons, you should start as soon as possible.

TWIC cards are good for 5 years, so you can apply as soon as possible.

Determine if you are eligible.

You Should be a citizen, permanent resident, or the U.S. Should be immigrant with a valid status in To get a TWIC card you must have a job or a continuous business on the port. Apart from this, you should not commit any felony in your records.

If you have a felony, you can still get a TWIC card, unless you were charged with treason, murder or espionage. However you may have to go through an additional appeal process.

Fill out the form online, on the phone, or in person.

You must provide your full name, gender, birth date and email or phone number for this application. You will also be asked whether you prefer to contact email or phone.

You can fill in the online form here:

To fill the application on the phone, call (855) 347-8371 from 8am to 10 o’clock in the morning. Eastern time of any weekday

You can fill in the pre-enrollment application at any enrollment center. Ask the receptionist for an application.

Make an appointment at an enrollment center.

You can run in an enrollment center without an appointment, but wait time will be too long. It’s best to make an appointment online or on the phone. As soon as you submit your pre-enrollment application, you can set your appointment.

Get an online appointment by visiting:

Call (855) 347-8371 for an appointment. On weekdays, the line is open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern Time

Find your nearest enrollment center here: Just make sure that you select TWIC from the drop down menu near the search bar.

Visiting the Enrollment Center

Gather your identification documents.

At the time of your appointment, you will have to show 1 or 2 identification documents. These documents will prove both your identity and citizenship or immigration status.

If you have a passport, green card, free and secure trade (Fast) card, or Global Entry Card, then you only need to bring 1 document.

If you do not have any of those documents, you need to bring a photo identity card (such as a driver’s license or military ID card), as well as 1 document that proves your citizenship (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificate of).

If you want to receive a discounted charge, get your commercial driver’s license or FAST card.

Take your documents to the enrollment center.

Go fast, because the wait time on enrollment centers can be longer. During your appointment, staff will take pictures of your fingerprints and your face. They will check your documents to verify your identity.

You will be asked to remove all the head wear for the photograph, except for the wearing of a religious head or wearing glasses on a daily basis.

Pay for the TWIC card.

Its price for a TWIC card is $ 125.25. This card will run for 5 years. If you have a valid commercial driver’s license with an advertisement for dangerous content (HME) or FAST card, then you only have to pay $ 105.25. This TWIC card will end in the same way as your license.

You can pay by enrollment centers with any major credit card or debit card.

Choose how you want your TWIC card delivered.

It can be mailed to you or sent to the enrollment center. Your enrollment will take 4-6 weeks to be processed and distributed. You can see the status of your application by going to

During this time, the employee will check a background on you. They will also confirm your identity using National and International Databases.

If you are picking up your enrollment card, you will receive a phone call or an email which will tell you when it’s ready. Bring a photo ID with you

If TSA found that you have been disqualified from having TWIC due to previous sentence or charges, they will send you a letter with instructions for appealing to the decision.

Appealing a Rejection

Determine if you are eligible for an appeal.

Usually the application is rejected due to failed background checks. Even if you were accused or convicted in the past, you may still be able to get a TWIC card when submitting the appeal. You are eligible if:

You were accused but he was not convicted of the crime.

You have a punishment for the perpetrators, but there is no felony.

You were convicted of simple drug possession.

You have no current warrant or prosecution against you.

You have been guilty of felony for assault, smuggling, kidnapping, or extortion since 7 years and you have not been in jail for the last 5 years. If you have been accused of felony within the last 7 years, then you should request a rebate with your appeal.

Gather documents about your charge or conviction.

These documents should come from a court, district attorney or police. They have to show that your charge was dismissed, that you were not found guilty, or that you were convicted of a crime and not a felony.

If you were convicted of a crime 7 years ago, then go to your local court and ask for copies of the documents showing the date of your sentence. If you have given time, you should collect any documents from prison or jail, showing that your release date was 5 years ago.

Fill out the TSA TWIC Request Cover Sheet.

This form has been included in the letter you received from TSA. On this form, write down why you think the rejection was undesirable. Once you have filled it, make a copy of this form and copy all the documents that you are sending to TSA.

Request a waiver if you were convicted of a felony within the last 7 years.

You may still be able to get a TWIC card. You need to give some extra documentation with your package. Until the necessary documents are provided, most of the exemptions are approved. Contains:

A personal statement explains your development on the port, the history of employment and the personal development since the sentence.

A document from prison or jail that verifies your release date.

A document from your parole officer who states that you have followed the rules of your probation.

support letter. You must have 1 from your Parole Officer, 1 from your supervisor or employer, and at least 2 from friends or family.

Any evidence that you participated in drug rehabilitation programs, anger management training, consultation or other training since your rehabilitation. Certificates from these programs or letters of consultants are acceptable.

Mail the form and documents to the TSA within 60 days.

Look at the date on the letter. You have 60 days to match this point in your documents. When you mail these forms, ask for confirmation of delivery from the post office for receipt. This will give you proof that you have sent documentation and the package has reached TSA.

The form is called Transportation Security Administration, TSA TWIC Processing Center, P.O. Box 8118, Fredericksburg, VA 22404-8118.

TSA will make a decision within 60 days of receiving the document. You will receive a letter in the mail saying that the appeal was accepted or rejected.

Getting a New Card

Protect your TWIC card.

You will be given a tough plastic case with your TWIC. Keep your card in this case at all times to prevent damage. Avoid bending the card or near the magnet. These exercises will continue to work your card for 5 years.

Repeat the enrollment process when you are ready to renew.

After 5 years, your TWIC card will expire. To get a new one, you have to go through exactly the same process as getting a new card. Fill an application, go to a enrollment center, and wait for your new card to arrive. You will have to pay $ 125.25 again for the new card.

Because it may take so long to get a new card, you should start the process until your old card expires 12 weeks ago.

Fill out a form online to replace a lost or broken card.

If you have lost your card, call or fill out a form online so they can get the replacement. During this process, you will be asked to make another appointment in a enrollment center. The cost of a lost card is $ 60 USD.

To change online cards, visit

To make it on the phone, call (855) -347-8371 on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Leave a Reply