This emindsca teaches you how to remove a partition from the hard drive of a Windows or Mac computer so that your computer can use the entire hard drive at once. You can only do this if you’ve already gone through the partitioning process. Before you do so, you should make a backup of the files on the partition.
Method 1 On Windows
1. Open Start. Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
You can also press the ⊞ Win key on your computer’s keyboard.
2. Type computer management into Start. This will search your computer for the Computer Management program.
3. Select “Computer Management.” It’s at the very top of the Start menu. By clicking this, you’ll be taken to Computer Management.
If you do not have an administrator account, you may be unable to access this programme.
4. Navigate to the Disk Management tab. This is located on the left side of the Computer Management window in the sidebar.
If you don’t see this option, go to the Storage tab and double-click it.
5. Choose your hard drive. Click the box next to your hard drive near the bottom of the Computer Management window. This box should include the letter of the hard drive (e.g., “(C:)”) as well as the number of gigabytes (GB) of storage that is currently available.
Your partition should be visible to the right of the hard drive box.
6. Click the Action button. This menu option is located in the upper-left corner of the Computer Management window. There will be a drop-down menu.
7. Select All Tasks. It’s near the bottom of the drop-down menu. Selecting it prompts a pop-out menu.
8. Click Extend Volume…. You’ll see this option near the middle of the pop-out menu. A new window will appear.
9. Click Next. It’s at the bottom of the new window.
10. Enter a monetary amount to be removed, then click Next. Enter the number of megabytes you want to delete from the partition.
For example, if the partition is 1000 MB in size, you would type “500” to delete half of it.
Click Next if you want to delete the entire partition.
11. Click Finish. This will extend your hard drive’s space to include the amount of the partition that you removed.
Method 2 On Mac
1. Go by clicking the Go button. This tab should be in the menu bar at the top of your screen on your Mac.
If you don’t see Go, open a new Finder window or click the desktop to bring it up.
2. Click Utilities. It’s at the bottom of the Go drop-down menu.
3. Disk Utility should be double-clicked. This icon looks like a Mac hard drive with a stethoscope attached to it. This will launch the Disk Utility programme.
4. Choose your hard drive. In the upper-left corner of the Disk Utility window, just below the “Internal” heading, select your Mac’s hard drive.
5. Click Partition. This tab is at the top of the Disk Utility window.
6. Click the – symbol. It’s located beneath the pie chart. This will not delete the partition immediately, but it will allow you to make changes to the system drive.
7. Choose the partition containing the system drive. Select the pie chart slice that represents your Mac’s system. It’s usually on the right side.
8. Please enter a new size. Click the “Size” field, then enter a new size for your Mac’s system drive in gigabytes.
For example, if your Mac’s system drive is 250 gigabytes and the partition is 250 gigabytes, entering 400 into the “Size” field will increase the drive size to 400 gigabytes, leaving 100 gigabytes for the resized partition.
9. Click the Apply button. This option is located in the lower-right corner of the window. This will begin the process of extending the Mac’s system drive and resizing your selected partition.
10. When prompted, click Done. This will bring the extending process to a close. The main hard drive partition on your Mac should now be resized.
Creative Commons License