FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a musical encoding format that preserves musical quality while consuming a lot of hard drive space. FLAC files are typically incompatible with MP3 players. Converting FLAC files to MP3 files will save you space and allow you to play your music in more places. There are numerous software programmes available that will convert FLAC files to MP3, making it difficult to choose which one to use. This article will show you how to use a programme on Windows, Mac OS X, and GNOME Linux.
Method 1 Converting FLAC to MP3 on Windows and Mac OS X
1. Download MediaHuman’s Audio Converter application. Go to their website. Download the installation file for your computer.
2. Install the Audio Converter application.
3. Open Audio Converter.
4. Click and drag one or more FLAC files onto the Audio Converter window. You can also add files by clicking the + button. This opens a file picker window.
5. Click the Format dropdown menu, and then click MP3. It’s the only dropdown menu in the Audio Converter menu bar.
6. Choose the format settings for the final MP3 files in the MP3 dialogue box.
You have the option of converting to mono or stereo audio. If you select the mono option, you will most likely lose some audio content.
You have the option of selecting a sample rate. Audio CDs use a sample rate of 44.1 kHz (or 44100 Hz). Less than that, and you’ll notice a drop in quality.
You have the option of selecting a bit rate. On the internet, MP3s with a bitrate of 128kbps are commonly used.
7. Convert the audio. Click the Convert button to start converting the FLAC files.
8. Locate the converted files. To open the directory containing the converted MP3s, click the Locate button next to the converted files.
The Locate button has the appearance of a magnifying glass.
WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV, OGG, AIFF, and Apple Lossless audio formats can also be converted by Audio Converter.
Method 2 Converting for GNOME in Linux
1. Download and install SoundConverter. It’s located at http://soundconverter.org.
SoundConverter is free software licensed under the GPL.
2. Open SoundConverter.
3. Click Preferences to open the Preferences window.
4. In the Preferences window, click Choose, and then choose the folder location for the converted MP3 files.
5. Under Type of result, click the Format dropdown menu, and then click MP3 (mp3).
6. Choose the MP3 audio quality. Click the Quality dropdown menu, and then choose the audio quality you want.
7. Load FLAC files into SoundConverter. In the main window, click Add File to add a file or Add Folder to add a folder of FLAC files. The files are added to the SoundConverter list.
8. Click Convert. SoundConverter begins converting the FLAC files to MP3 in the output folder you chose.
SoundConverter can convert audio files into many different formats.
Creative Commons License