PayPal Buyer Credit (now known as PayPal Smart Connect) is a payment programme that works similarly to a credit card. Those who want to cancel the card can do so by calling or writing to PayPal. You will be guided through the cancellation process by PayPal representatives. By knowing what to expect and having everything you need in front of you, you can avoid the inevitable time and headaches that come with automated phone services and offshore call centres. Gather your paperwork and account numbers ahead of time so that you have everything at your fingertips when you begin the cancellation process.
Method 1 Cancelling by Telephone
1. Please contact the PayPal Credit Service Center. It may take some time to work your way through the automated call forwarding system and wait time. This is, however, the quickest way to cancel your card. While you’re on the phone, the customer service representative should be able to cancel your account. Even if the cancellation does not take effect the same day, they should be able to obtain all of the information they require from you.
Call 1-866-571-3012 and follow the prompts from the automated telephone response system. On weekdays, the service centre is open from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST), and on weekends, it is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions. First, you will gain access to your PayPal Buyer Credit (Smart Connect) account information. To access the PayPal Smart Connect menu, dial the number “1” on your phone’s keypad. To access your PayPal Buyer Credit account, continue to follow the prompts provided by the automated response system.
Give your PayPal Buyer Credit account number to the automated phone system. If you do not have your account number on hand, you may be instructed to tell the automated response system, “I don’t have it.”
3. Follow the phone prompts. A series of automated prompts may guide you through the cancellation process. You may also be transferred to a live customer service representative who will try to persuade you to keep your account open. When you’re finished, request an email or other written confirmation that your account has been successfully closed and cancelled.
Note the date and time you called to cancel your account, as well as the transaction confirmation number or the name and employee identification number of the representative you spoke with. This information can be used as proof if your account was unable to be cancelled for any reason.
Method 2 Cancelling With Ground Mail
1. Collect any pertinent information. You will have to make some educated guesses in the absence of a phone service or customer support representative prompting you for account information. At the very least, your account number, account name, card number, and any other security information provided by PayPal should be included in the letter.
A customer service representative may contact you by phone or email to request additional information. Include this information in your letter.
2. Send a letter to PayPal Smart Connect in order to cancel your account. Your letter should state that you want to cancel your PayPal Buyer Credit account. Mention it in the letter if you are cancelling the account due to a bad experience. Include any information that will serve as a reference for the event in question, such as a transaction number. There is no need to explain why you are cancelling the account if there was no event that caused you to do so. However, if they ask for a reason, you can provide one if you wish.
Lack of use, having too many open accounts, and switching to a new credit card company are all common reasons for cancelling credit cards.
3. The letter should be sent to PayPal Smart Connect. PayPal will respond to your inquiry about account cancellation and may contact you using the information you provided in the letter. PayPal Smart Connect, P.O. Box 981064, El Paso, Texas, 79998-1064, is the address for the envelope. In order to increase security, inquire at your local post office about insurance, signature delivery confirmation, or a tracking number for the letter.
4. Maintain a record of all account information. It is possible that a PayPal representative will need to contact you for additional information. Make this process easier by keeping all of your account information in one place. Consider typing everything into a word document and saving it to your computer’s desktop. Alternatively, email it to yourself so that it is accessible even when you are not using your primary computer.
Creative Commons License