Western Union is an easy way to receive money from friends, family, and employers. Money sent via Western Union can be transferred directly to your bank account in 2-5 days or to a mobile wallet in minutes. Funds can also be received in cash at any Western Union location, usually within a day of the transfer. Give the sender accurate information, select the most convenient delivery method for you, and request a tracking number once the funds have been transferred.
Method 1: Having Money Transferred to Your Bank
1. Provide your bank account information to the sender. To transfer money directly to your bank, the sender will need the name of your bank, as well as your account number and routing number. You should only provide this information if you are receiving money from someone you know and trust, or from a legitimate, well-known company.
You should be able to find your account and routing number by calling your bank or logging into your account on the website of your bank.
2. Check that the sender has your full name as it appears on your bank account. For example, if your bank account name is William H. Smith and your friend writes “Billy Smith” on the transfer form, you may have difficulty receiving the transfer. Check to ensure that the sender has used your full, correct name.
3. If you are receiving funds from outside the United States, please provide your International Bank Account Number. If you receive money from someone in another country, you may be required to provide them with your International Bank Account Number and/or International Bank Identifier Code. To find these numbers, call your bank or visit their website.
4. Allow 2-5 days for the funds to be transferred. Money sent directly to your bank account should transfer within 2-5 days in most cases. The sender should also receive a receipt indicating when the funds will be available.
5. Examine your account balance to see if the funds have been transferred. Check your online account, call your bank, or go to your local branch to see if the transfer was successful. It should appear within 5 days of being sent, or by the date listed on your sender’s receipt.
6. To track the transfer, use the Money Transfer Control Number. On their receipt, your sender should be able to find a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN). This number can be used to track the transfer via the Western Union website or app.
Method 2: Obtaining Money from a Western Union Location
1. Please provide the sender with your full name and address. To pick up money at Western Union, you must provide the sender with the name and address on your government-issued ID. Make sure you give them your ID’s address, even if it is not your current address.
2. Make a note of the sender’s full name and address. When you go to pick up your money, you will need to provide this information. Inquire about the sender’s name and address for the transfer.
3. On their receipt, ask the sender for the Money Transfer Control Number. Once the funds have been transferred, request that the sender provide you with the tracking number, also known as the Money Transfer Control Number, as listed on their receipt. This allows you to track the transfer and determine when the funds are ready for pick-up.
The sender’s receipt should also include the expected date of availability of the funds. However, tracking the transfer to ensure that it is available before going to pick it up is a good idea.
4. Go to a Western Union location near you. You can get money from any Western Union location. Using Western Union’s online location tool, you can determine which branch is closest to you: https://locations.westernunion.com/
5. You must show a government-issued ID card. The name and address on your ID should match the information provided by the sender when filling out the transfer information. The identification should be current and not expired.
6. Include the sender’s name and address, as well as the tracking number. You may also need to know how much money you will receive. In some countries, you must also answer a security question, which your sender should have discussed with you ahead of time.
Method 3: Using a Mobile Wallet App to Receive Money
1. Install a mobile wallet on your smartphone. Some phones come pre-installed with mobile wallets. Check to see if your phone has a mobile wallet app, and if not, download one from your service provider. Common mobile wallet apps include Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Android Pay.
2. Enter the information for your credit or debit card. Once you’ve installed your mobile wallet, it should prompt you to enter your credit or debit card information. Use the card that you want to receive money from or from which you want to send money in the future.
3. Provide the sender with your phone number. In contrast to in-person pick-up or direct bank deposits, the sender only requires your phone number to transfer funds to your mobile wallet. If you are receiving money from someone in another country, be sure to include the country code.
4. Use the tracking number to determine when your funds will be transferred. Money sent to a mobile wallet usually transfers in a few minutes, but it may take longer depending on factors such as the amount sent, the destination country, and currency availability.
Creative Commons License