This emindsca teaches you how to mute and unmute yourself in a Zoom meeting using a computer, phone, or tablet. You’ll also discover how to configure Zoom so that your microphone is automatically muted, as well as how to use the Push to Talk feature to temporarily unmute your microphone when you want to speak. See How to Mute All in Zoom if you’re a Zoom host who needs to mute the entire meeting.
Method 1: Mute and Unmute Yourself
1. Start or join a Zoom meeting. In meetings, you can mute and unmute yourself on any platform, including Mac, Windows, Android, and iPhone/iPad.
2. The microphone icon can be accessed by clicking or tapping on it. This should be in the bottom left corner of your screen; if it isn’t, click or tap the screen to bring up the icon row. When the icon is red with a line through it, it means that your microphone is muted.
3. Click or tap the microphone icon once more. This action unmutes your microphone if the previous action mute it. You can also look at the section on temporarily unmuting yourself using the Push to Talk feature.
Method 2: Automatically Muting Your Microphone
1. Zoom should be open on your computer, phone, or tablet. If you want to muffle your microphone when you join meetings, you can do so with a quick change in your settings.
2. Navigate to the Settings menu. On a computer, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of Zoom. Tap the Settings icon at the bottom of the screen on a phone or tablet.
3. Click the Audio (PC/Mac) or Meetings (phone/tablet) menu. Settings for your microphone and other options will appear.
4. Mute your microphone by selecting the option. Check the box next to “Mute my microphone when joining a meeting” if you’re using a computer. Toggle the “Always mute my microphone” switch on a phone or tablet.
Method 3: Enabling and Employing Push-to-Talk
1. Zoom should now be open on your PC or Mac. The Push-to-Talk feature allows you to temporarily unmute yourself by pressing and holding the spacebar on your keyboard. This is useful if you believe you will want to remain muted the majority of the time.
2. Click the gear icon. It’s in the top-right area of Zoom.
3. In the menu, select Audio. This is visible in the menu on the left side of the window.
4. Check the box next to “Press and hold the SPACE key to unmute yourself temporarily.” When this option is selected, you can unmute your microphone by pressing and holding the spacebar. Your microphone will be muted again as soon as you lift your finger.
5. Start or join a Zoom meeting. Now that you’ve enabled Push to Talk, let’s see how it works.
If your microphone is not already muted, click the microphone icon in the bottom-left corner to do so right away.
6. While speaking, press and hold the spacebar. When you press the Push to Talk button, a large microphone icon will appear on your screen to indicate that your microphone is active.
If the meeting administrator has prevented participants from unmuting themselves, you will be unable to use Push to Talk.
When you let go of the spacebar, you’ll be muted once more.
Creative Commons License