You can use AirPlay on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV to stream audio and video to an AirPlay-enabled device, as demonstrated in this ementes. When using AirPlay, you can broadcast the screen of your Apple device to an Apple TV. You can also play audio through AirPlay-compatible speakers, such as the HomePod, when using the service.
Method 1 iPhone or iPad
1. Connect to the same Wi-Fi network as the AirPlay item to which you’re streaming. Your iPhone must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the AirPlay device (e.g., Apple TV) in order for it to function properly.
2. Select the AirPlay item that you want to use and turn it on. You should turn on your speakers if you plan on streaming audio through AirPlay from your iPhone or iPod touch.
3. Launch the video or song that you want to share. If you only want to mirror your screen without opening any apps, you can skip this step.
Some apps include built-in AirPlay buttons that allow you to easily use AirPlay to stream from the app. Tap an icon that looks like a rectangle with a triangle at the bottom to see if your AirPlay device appears. If it does, choose it to begin streaming or sharing.
4. Navigate to the Control Center. Swipe down from the upper-right corner of the home screen if you’re using an iPhone X or later. Instead, on iPhone 8 and earlier, swipe up from the bottom of the home screen.
5. If you want to share video or mirror the screen, select Screen Mirroring. Skip this step if you only want to use AirPlay for audio. Alternatively, wait until you see the desired AirPlay item, then select it from the list to begin using AirPlay.
6. To stream audio, tap and hold the Audio tile in Control Center. Tap-and-hold this tile in the top-right corner of the Control Center to play music through AirPlay, then tap the AirPlay icon (it looks like a triangle with three curved lines) and select the speaker or speakers.
Method 2 Mac
1. Connect your Mac to the same Wi-Fi network that your AirPlay TV or speakers are connected to. Your Mac must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device you want to connect to via AirPlay.
2. Select the AirPlay item you want to use and turn it on. For example, if you want to use AirPlay to stream audio to speakers, make sure those speakers are turned on.
3. If you want to mirror your screen, enable the screen-mirroring icon. When you mirror your Mac’s screen, you can project anything on your Mac’s screen to an AirPlay-enabled TV, including streaming videos and photos. Even if you don’t want to do it right now, it’s a good idea to have this option ready for when you need it.
First, if you see an icon in the menu bar near the top-right corner of your screen that looks like a rectangle with a triangle at the bottom, you’re ready to go to step 4.
If not, select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Displays can be accessed by clicking the button.
“Show mirroring options in menu bar” should be selected.
4. Open the video or song that you want to play via AirPlay. For example, if you want to use AirPlay to watch a movie from a streaming service, open the app or website of that service and select the video. You can skip this step if you only want to mirror this screen.
Some Mac apps, such as Apple Music, include an AirPlay button that allows you to use AirPlay directly from the app. In the case of Apple Music, open a list of AirPlay-enabled speakers by clicking the triangle icon with three curved lines near the top-right corner, and then click the speakers to begin streaming.
If you’re watching a streaming video in a web browser, you can often play it through AirPlay by clicking an icon that looks like a rectangle with a triangle at the bottom (the same icon that’s now in your menu bar). To find it, you may need to hover your mouse over the video or click it once to bring up the controls.
5. To mirror your screen, click the mirroring icon. It’s the new rectangle-with-a-triangle icon you put in the Menu bar. Select the desired AirPlay-enabled item from the list to begin mirroring immediately.
To turn off mirroring, click the icon once more and select Turn AirPlay Off.
6. To play audio through speakers, use AirPlay. Here’s how to use a separate AirPlay speaker to play music or other sounds through your Mac:
Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Sound of a click.
Under “Output,” select your AirPlay speaker.
Select “Computer” if you want to return to your Mac’s onboard speakers.
Method 3 On Apple TV
1. Navigate to the Settings menu on your Apple TV. From your Apple TV’s Home Screen, select the Settings app icon, which looks like a grey box with gears on it.
2. Select AirPlay. You’ll find this on the Settings page.
3. Select AirPlay. It’s at the top of the AirPlay menu.
4. Select On. Doing so turns on AirPlay.
If this option is already selected, AirPlay is enabled for your Apple TV.
5. Return to the AirPlay menu. To do so, use your remote’s Menu button.
6. Select Allow Access. This is near the top of the screen.
7. Choose Everyone. It’s located in the middle of the menu. This ensures that anyone on your Wi-Fi network can connect to your Apple TV using AirPlay.
Creative Commons License