This emindsca teaches you how to make a new, empty folder on a Windows or a Mac computer.
Method 1 Windows
1. Navigate to the location where you want to create the folder. The most obvious example is your computer’s desktop, but a folder can be created anywhere on your computer.
You can access File Explorer by going to the Start menu, typing “file explorer,” and then selecting File Explorer from the list at the top of the Start menu. From there, you can open any folder in the left-hand pane.
2. Right-click on a blank space to bring up the context menu. This brings up a drop-down menu. If you right-click on a file or folder instead, the wrong drop-down menu will appear.
If you’re in an existing folder (for example, Documents), click the Home tab on the top-left side of the File Explorer window and then click New Folder in the toolbar that appears.
If you’re using a trackpad instead of a mouse, perform a right-click by clicking the trackpad with two fingers.
3. Choose New. This option appears near the bottom of the drop-down menu and opens a new pop-out menu.
4. Click Folder. It’s at the top of the pop-out menu.
5. Enter a name for your folder after typing it in. This creates a new folder with the same name as before.
There can’t be any special punctuation or other characters in the folder’s name.
If you don’t give your folder a name, it will be saved as “New Folder.”
Method 2 Mac
1. Navigate to the location where you want to create the folder. The desktop of your Mac is usually the most convenient place to create a folder, but you can create a folder almost anywhere.
You can launch Finder, which looks like a blue face at the bottom of the screen, and then navigate to any location where you want to create a new folder, such as Documents.
2. Click File. This menu item is in the upper-left side of your Mac’s screen.
3. Select New Folder. This creates a new folder in the current directory.
You can also use a mouse to right-click on an empty space, or use two fingers on a computer with a trackpad to click. If you right-click on a file or folder instead, the wrong drop-down menu will appear.
4. Enter a name for your folder and hit Return. This creates a new folder with the name you specify.
When naming a folder on a Mac, you cannot use the “:” or “?” characters.
Creative Commons License