This emindsca teaches you how to open a ZIP folder with an unknown password. The only way to do this is to download a programme that can crack the password for you, though the process can take days to complete.
Part 1 Preparing to Remove a Password
1. Recognize the danger. You’ll need to download a programme that can guess the ZIP folder’s password. Before you do this, keep in mind that it has the potential to infect your computer with a virus. Before proceeding, review safe browsing practises and instal antivirus software.
The majority of free trial versions can only crack short passwords. If a programme that isn’t listed here offers unlimited cracking for free, don’t download it because it could be malware.
2. This procedure is likely to take a long time. Most password-cracking programmes will take several hours to guess even the most simple passwords; realistically, this process will take several days to complete.
There is no way to guess the password in a matter of minutes. Any service that claims to do so is almost certainly malware.
3. Turn off all background programmes. Close any processing-heavy programmes, such as Photoshop, video games, audio and video players, and so on, because you’ll need as much of your computer’s processor speed as possible.
Even if you use your computer’s maximum processing speed to crack the ZIP folder’s password, the process can take days.
4. Create a ZIP folder on your desktop. Because your computer’s desktop is the most easily accessible location, drag the ZIP folder there before attempting to crack its password.
You can also copy-and-paste the ZIP folder by selecting the folder, pressing Ctrl+C (Windows) or ⌘ Command+C (Mac), going to the desktop, and pressing Ctrl+V or ⌘ Command+V.
If the ZIP folder is on a mobile item such as a smartphone or a tablet, transfer the folder onto a computer before proceeding.
Part 2 Using John the Ripper
1. Learn how to use this method. John the Ripper is a free, command-line-based programme for cracking passwords. Unfortunately, despite being free, it can be difficult to instal and use.
2. Get John the Ripper now. Go to http://www.openwall.com/john/ for more information. in your computer’s web browser, then click the John the Ripper 1.8.0-jumbo-1 (Windows binaries, ZIP, 34 MB) link near the bottom of the page in the “community enhanced version” section.
3. Take out John the Ripper. Double-click the downloaded ZIP folder, then select the Extract tab, then select Extract all, then select Extract, and wait for the window to appear.
4. Set up John the Ripper. John the Ripper cannot be installed like other programmes, but it can be installed to your desktop by moving its folder there and renaming it “john”:
In the extracted window which opens, click the “john180j1w” folder.
Open your desktop, then press Ctrl+V.
Right-click the folder, then click Rename
Type in john and press ↵ Enter.
5. Place your ZIP folder in the John the Ripper “run” folder. Copy the folder by clicking it and pressing Ctrl+C, then open the “john” folder, open the “run” folder, click a blank space, and press Ctrl+V.
6. Open Command Prompt. This is your computer’s command line program:
Type in command prompt
Click Command Prompt at the top of the Start window.
7. Change the directory to John the Ripper’s “run” folder. Type in cd desktop/john/run and press ↵ Enter.
8. Enter the “run” command. Type in zip2john.exe name.zip > name.hash (making sure to replace “name” with the name of your ZIP folder) and press ↵ Enter.
For a ZIP folder named “hello”, for example, you’d type zip2john.exe hello.zip > hello.hash here.
9. Define the ZIP folder’s hash. Type in name.hash (where “name” is the name of your hash file) and press ↵ Enter. At this point, you’re ready to begin cracking the password.
10. Begin cracking the password. Type in john.exe –pot=name.pot –wordlist=john/run/password.lst name.hash and press ↵ Enter. John the Ripper will begin comparing your ZIP folder’s password to its database of passwords.
You’ll need to replace “name” in both “name.pot” and “name.hash” with your ZIP folder’s name.
The “password.lst” file contains a list of passwords and their permutations.
11. Prompt the cracked password to display. Once the password has been determined, you’ll see “Session complete” appear at the bottom of Command Prompt. At this point, you can type in type name.pot (again, substitute your folder’s name for “name”) and press ↵ Enter to view the password for the ZIP folder.
Part 3 Using Paid Software
1. Recognize how this works. Most professional password-cracking software will crack a file’s password if it is less than a certain number of characters long. However, in order to crack most files, you must first purchase the programme.
The advantage of using these programmes is that they are usually simple to use.
2. Understand what to look for. Your chosen password cracker should have a free trial period and be able to use brute-force password techniques.
3. Install a professional password cracker that you have downloaded. Although you will eventually need to purchase the software, the following options are recommended:
https://www.elcomsoft.com/archpr.html Advanced Archive Password Recovery
Zip Password Recovery Professional — https://www.cnet.com/download/ZIP-Password-Recovery-Professional/3000-18501 4-75031119.html
ZipKey is available at https://www.passware.com/kit-standard/freedemo/.
4. Get out your password cracker. After you’ve installed your password cracker, launch it by double-clicking or clicking on its programme icon.
5. Choose the password-protected ZIP folder. In most cases, you’ll do this by clicking Browse, Open, or Add in the programme, then selecting the ZIP folder to crack and clicking Open or Choose.
Some password crackers may allow you to drag the ZIP folder into the program’s window by clicking and dragging it.
6. Select a password-guessing method. In most cases, you’ll want to choose Brute force, but you might be able to choose Dictionary (or something similar) to check a list of words similar to the one you entered.
The Dictionary method is best used when you either know a portion of the password or know the phrase that you used (but not the capitalization or characters).
7. Begin by cracking the ZIP password. Then, in your application, press the Start or Run button and wait for the password to be cracked. As previously stated, this procedure could take several days to complete.
8. Take a look at the cracked ZIP password. When the password has been cracked, the programme should notify you. The cracked password can then be used to open the ZIP folder.
Creative Commons License