Ford has developed technology that allows you to sync your iPhone with the Ford car audio system and answer calls hands-free. If you need to make a call while driving, you will no longer have to manually open your phone and dial numbers. Simply instruct Ford SYNC to call your contact, and the call will be routed through its system.
Method 1 Syncing Your iPhone
1. Check that your iPhone, car, and radio/SYNC system are all turned on. If one of these is turned off, you will be unable to pair your iPhone with Ford SYNC. The power switch for your radio/SYNC system may differ depending on your vehicle model; consult the owner’s manual for more information.
2. Open the Settings app on your iPhone. Locate and tap the gear icon on your iPhone’s home screen. Your iPhone’s Settings menu will appear.
3. Choose “General.” The General menu option is indicated by a gear icon; this will open your device’s General settings.
4. Turn on Bluetooth. Select “Bluetooth” from the General settings menu. To access the Bluetooth menu, tap it. On the next screen, you’ll see “Bluetooth” with a toggle switch next to it that should be set to OFF. Turn this switch to the ON position to enable Bluetooth and make your device discoverable. It will also start looking for devices to pair with.
Continue with the next steps, but do not exit your iPhone’s Bluetooth menu.
5. SYNC the phone by pressing the SYNC phone button. This button’s location varies depending on the car model, but it’s usually on the steering wheel or dashboard and is represented by a phone icon.
SYNC will start looking for a phone to pair with. If it detects your iPhone, it will display a 6-digit code on its screen and you can proceed to the next step; otherwise, proceed to the next step to add your iPhone.
6. From the SYNC menu, choose “Add your phone.” On SYNC, use the Seek buttons (the or >> buttons) to find the option to “Add your phone,” then press “OK.” SYNC will prompt you to “Press OK to begin pairing your device,” so press “OK” once more.
7. On your iPhone, tap the “SYNC” button. SYNC will now appear below if you tap on the bar below “Devices” to refresh the search for devices to pair with. When you tap it, you will be prompted to enter your PIN.
8. SYNC will provide you with a 6-digit PIN. To begin pairing, press the “Done” button at the top of the screen. SYNC will then display a message on its screen informing you that your iPhone is connected.
9. Make the phone the primary focus. SYNC will ask you if you want to make the currently connected phone the primary phone after pairing. SYNC should be set to OK, and the Seek buttons should be used to find the “Yes” option. To enter your selection, press the OK button once more.
If you don’t want to make the phone the primary, use the Seek buttons to find “No,” then press OK.
10. Sync your contact information. You can now import your contacts into SYNC. This allows you to call a contact by inputting the contact’s name into SYNC. So, when SYNC asks, “Set automatic phonebook download to ON?” press “OK,” then use the Seek buttons to select the “Yes” option, and press “OK” again.
Method 2 Syncing iPhone Music
1. Connect your iPhone to the SYNC service. Connect your iPhone to SYNC using the USB cable that came with it. The USB port in your Ford car is usually located on the media dashboard. If you are unsure, consult the user manual.
2. Open the Music app on your iPhone. Once connected, locate and tap the Music app on your iPhone.
3. Put on some music. Tap the song you want to listen to in the Music app. The music file will open in its entirety on your screen and begin playing.
4. Connect it to Ford SYNC. A Bluetooth icon will appear at the bottom right of your music page. Tap it to link the Music app to Ford SYNC. The Bluetooth menu will appear, with the word “SYNC” listed under “Devices.” Tap it to sync your iPhone Music with SYNC. When you pair it, it will play your music through the Ford system.
Creative Commons License