Due to the convenience and simplicity of their prepaid debit cards and secured credit cards, Green Dot is a leading provider of these products, which have become extremely popular. If you have received a new Green Dot card and need to register it, you can do so quickly and easily online. In the interest of security, Green Dot does not allow you to register your card over the phone with them.
Method 1 Registering a Platinum Credit Card
1. Visit the Green Dot Platinum website to complete the registration process for your secured credit card. A Green Dot Platinum Card is a credit card that has been pre-paid. You apply for the card by filling out an application, which is then sent to you via postal mail. In order to secure your line of credit, you must pay a deposit. To apply for a secured credit card or to register a credit card that you have already received, go to https://www.greendot.com/for-people/our-products/secured-credit-card.
In most cases, the amount of your deposit equals the amount of your line of credit, and vice versa. Consider the following example: if you deposited $200, you would be given a $200 line of credit to use.
A word of caution: The Green Dot Platinum card is not a debit card, but rather a legitimate credit card. You will still be required to make monthly payments for charges made to the card, or you will be charged interest. There will be no deduction from your deposit for this amount.
2. Fill out the form with your account number and personal information. When you click on the “Register Card” button, you will be taken to the card activation page where you can complete the process. There are several pieces of information you’ll need to enter:
Your account number (the number on the front of your card)
The last 4 digits of your Social Security number
Your card’s expiration date
The CVC/CVV number on the back of your card
Your date of birth
The state where you live
Your ZIP code
3. In order to complete the process, click “Activate Card.” As soon as your card has been activated, you will be able to make purchases anywhere that accepts VISA credit or debit cards. Your credit limit is the same as the amount of your security deposit, which you can increase at any time by making additional deposits.
Green Dot reports information about your card usage and payments to all three major credit bureaus, allowing you to use your Green Dot Platinum card to gradually build your credit score. Maintain a low credit card balance and make your monthly payment on time every month.
Avoid carrying a balance on your credit card because you will be charged interest, which will make it more difficult to pay off your debt as time passes.
Method 2 Registering a Debit Card
1. To activate your card online, go to https://secure2.greendot.com/enroll/get-started/ for more information. This is a secure page, which means that any information you submit through the site will be encrypted and will only be accessible by Green Dot.
2. Fill out the form with your card number, expiration date, and CVV code. Initially, you will be asked to enter your card number, which can be found across the front of the card. The second page will ask you to enter your name and email address. After that, you’ll need to enter the card’s 4-digit expiration date, which is located below the card number, as well as the CVV, which is a 3-digit security code located on the back of the card, in the appropriate fields on the screen.
3. To proceed to the next page, simply click on the “Next” button. If you have entered your credit card information correctly, you should be directed to a page that requests additional information from you.
Please double-check your numbers to ensure they were entered correctly if an error message is displayed. If you continue to receive an error message, please contact the customer service number printed on the back of your card.
4. To complete the registration of your card, enter your personal information. The USA PATRIOT Act requires all financial institutions to collect and verify personal information about their customers. In order to complete the activation of your card, you must provide the following information:
Date of birth
Mobile phone number
Social Security number
Tip: Green Dot also has a mobile app you can download and use to activate your card and manage your account.
Creative Commons License