Many players have taken to recording and sharing their gameplay, which has become a very popular pastime. As video-sharing websites such as YouTube and Twitch have grown in popularity, they have brought video game footage to a whole new generation of viewers. Game consoles equipped with DVR technology, which allows you to record several minutes of gameplay footage without the need for a capture card, are becoming increasingly popular. If you play on a computer, you can record your gameplay using one of the many free programmes available. Video recording capabilities are built into both Windows and Mac operating systems. Alternatively, if you’re using an older console and don’t have access to a capture card, you can record your gameplay with a video camera or smartphone instead.
Method 1 Using Game Bar on Windows
1. Make certain that the Game Bar is enabled. Game Bar is a video game recording system that comes pre-installed with Windows. Before you can use Game Bar to record games, you must first complete the following steps to ensure that it is enabled:
Click the Windows Start menu.
Click the Gear/Settings Icon.
Ensure the toggle switch below “Xbox Game Bar” is turned on.
2. Start a new game. Double-click the icon for any game you want to play to launch the game.
3. Press ⊞ Win+G. Pressing the Windows Key and “G” at the same time displays the Game Bar options.
4. To access the Widgets menu, select the Widgets menu icon. It’s the icon with four horizontal lines and a dot next to each line that you’re looking for. It can be found at the very top of the Game Bar, in the centre. The Widgets menu is displayed as a result of this action.
5. Click Capture. It’s in the Widgets menu. This displays a widget with the capture controls.
6. To begin recording, press the Record button. It’s the button with a small round dot on it. It can be found in the Capture widget. This begins the process of recording your gameplay.
7. Select your game from the drop-down menu. You have two options: either click on the game’s icon in the taskbar or click on the game that is currently running in the background. The game now has control over your mouse and keyboard, rather than the other way around. You can record for as long as you want while you’re playing. For as long as you are recording, you will be able to see the current time on the right side of the screen on your computer.
8. Press ⊞ Win+G again. This opens the Game Bar again and gives control over your mouse and keyboard to Game Bar.
9. To end the game, press the Stop button. It’s the button with a square next to the record time to the right of the record time button on the left. This will allow you to save a copy of your video. To locate the video recording, open File Explorer and navigate to the “Videos” folder in the left-hand pane. Then go to the “Captures” folder and open it.
Method 2 Using OBS on Windows, Mac, & Linux
1. OBS should be downloaded and installed. OBS is a free and open-source recording and broadcasting software that can be downloaded from the internet. It differs from Game Bar in that it offers a few more recording options and can capture directly from your video card at 60 frames per second or higher. To download and instal OBS, follow the steps outlined below:
Go to https://obsproject.com/.
Click Windows, macOS 10.13+ or Linux.
Open the install file in your web browser or Downloads folder.
Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
2. Open the OBS programme. It is represented by a black icon that looks like three blades forming a circle. To open OBS, simply click on the icon.
If this is your first time opening OBS, it will guide you through the setup process. If you intend to use OBS primarily for recording purposes, choose the options that allow you to set it up for recording rather than streaming. You can use it for either purpose.
3. Click + below “Sources.” This allows you to add a new source for recording. This displays a pop-up menu.
4. Select Game Capture from the drop-down menu. Under “Sources,” there’s a pop-up menu with this option.
You can use the “Window Capture” option instead of “Game Capture” if you want to capture your entire screen rather than just one application.
5. Fill in the blanks below “Create New.” A generic name such as “Software capture” can be used instead of the game’s title.
You can also choose “Media Capture Device” if you want to include a webcam stream in your game capture. To record audio from a microphone, select “Media Source” from the drop-down menu.
6. “Capture any full-screen application” can be selected from the drop-down menu next to “Mode” on the main menu. You will be able to capture any game that is currently running in full-screen mode if you do so.
As an alternative, you can choose “Capture specific window” and then use the drop-down menu next to “Window” to select a specific game to capture.
7. Click Ok. This adds the new capture source to the “Sources” menu.
8. Click Start Recording. It’s in the panel to the right. This starts recording your video.
9. Play the game that you want to play. You are now free to begin playing your game. Playing with OBS will record your gameplay in real time.
10. Return to OBS. When you are ready to stop recording, return to OBS.
11. To end the recording, press the Stop Recording button. You can access it through the same button you used to begin recording in the panel to the right. This will bring your recording to a halt and save it. You can find your recording in the “Videos” folder on your computer.
Method 3 Using Playstation 5
1. Start putting your strategy into action. There are a plethora of options available for recording video on the Playstation 5. Alternatively, you can start recording new gameplay footage for as long as you want, or you can save up to 1 hour of your previous gameplay footage to your hard drive.
2. To begin, click the Create button. It’s the oval-shaped button in the centre of the DualSense controller, to the left of the touchpad and in the middle of the controller. This will bring up the Creative menu.
3. Select the Save Recent Gameplay option from the drop-down menu. It’s represented by an icon that looks like a square with a clock in the lower-right corner. Located at the bottom of the screen, in the center-left, is the Help button. It is possible to save a video clip of something that has just occurred in a game using this option. If something unexpected happens while you’re playing and you want to record it on video, this is a useful feature.
4. Choose either Save Full Video or Save Short Clip from the drop-down menu. Both of these options are accessible from the Create menu by selecting the “Save Recent Gameplay” icon. “Save Full Video” will record a video clip of your last hour of gameplay and save it to your computer. The “Save Short Clip” option will save the gameplay footage from the previous few minutes to your computer’s hard drive.
The “Save Short Clip” option in the Settings menu allows you to specify the length of the clip you want to save. The Settings menu can be accessed from the Home screen. It’s the icon that looks like a gear at the top of the screen, as shown below. Captures and broadcasts can be selected. Captures should be selected first, followed by Shortcuts for the Create button. Choose Length of Recent Gameplay Video Clip from the drop-down menu and specify how long you want your recent gameplay videos to be. There are a variety of lengths available, ranging from 30 seconds to an hour.
5. In the Create menu, click on the icon that says “Start New Recording.” In the Create menu, there is another option for recording gameplay that you can use. A square with a red circle in the lower-right corner is what you’re looking for here. When you press the Create button, you’ll see it at the bottom of the screen, in the center-right corner of the screen. This initiates a new video recording session. You have the ability to record as much video as you want. For as long as you are recording, a black box with the record time will appear at the top of the screen with the recording time.
Alternatively, you can record a brief video by pressing the Create button twice. In the Creative menu, you can specify how many minutes or seconds you want short videos to be recorded, depending on your preference.
6. Once more, press the Create button. To bring up the Creative menu when you are ready to stop recording, press the Create button a second time to bring up the Recording menu.
7. Select the Stop Recording option. This will bring your video recording to a halt and save it. According to how long your video is, it may take a few minutes to be processed by our system.
Method 4 Using PlayStation 4
1.Start putting your strategy into action. You can always save up to 15 minutes of gameplay because the PlayStation 4 is constantly recording it for you. Aside from system menus and videos from streaming apps such as Netflix and YouTube, the PlayStation 4 will not record anything.
2. To share something, click on the Share button. You can find it on the left-hand side of the touchpad, in the shape of an oval. This will bring up the Share menu.
3. Choose Save Video Clip from the drop-down menu. It can be found near the bottom of the Share menu. This saves a video clip of the last 15 minutes of gameplay that has been completed. This is useful for when something unexpected occurs during your gameplay that you would like to record and save as a video.
Alternatively, you can save a video clip in the Share menu by pressing the Square button.
4. To share something, click on the Share button twice. During gameplay, double-tapping this button will start a new video recording session for you to watch. In its default configuration, the PS4 will record for up to ten minutes.
Changes can be made to the video recording’s length and resolution by selecting the Settings option from the PS4 menu bar. Then click on Share and Broadcast, and then on Video clip settings to complete the process. It is possible to set the video length to anything from 30 seconds to a maximum of 60 minutes from this screen. Also available is the option to change the video resolution from 720p to 1080p.
5. Press the Share button twice more to confirm your action. When you are ready to stop recording, press the stop button. Double-click the “Share” button once more. Your video will be saved to the capture gallery after it has been captured. Your saved videos can be accessed through the Capture Gallery app on your PlayStation 4.
Method 5 Using Xbox Series X/S
1. Start playing the game you want to record and stop when you’re done. There are a few options for recording gameplay on the Xbox Series X and Series S consoles. You can start a new recording from the Share menu, or you can capture the last few minutes of gameplay that you’ve been playing.
2. To begin, press the Xbox button. It’s the button on the controller that has the Xbox logo on it, located in the top-center. This will bring up the menu.
3. Select the “Capture & Share” tab from the drop-down menu. To navigate through the tabs at the top of the menu, press the “R” and “L” bumper buttons on your keyboard. It has an icon that resembles an arrow pointing up over a box, and it is located under the Capture & Share tab. It’s the second-to-last tab in the Share menu, and it’s labelled as such. The Capture & Share menu will appear as a result of this.
4. Select Make a note of what happened. It’s the first option on the Capture & Share menu, as you might expect. This brings up a menu, from which you can choose whether you want to record the last 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute, or 2 minutes of video footage.
As an alternative, you can press and hold the Share button on your controller for 30 seconds to save the most recently played 30 seconds of gameplay. The Share button is located in the centre of the Xbox Series X controller and is represented by an icon that looks like a box with an arrow pointing up. You can adjust the amount of time this saves by selecting “Capture Settings” from the Capture & Share menu at the bottom of the screen. By default, you can save 30 seconds of 4K video, 1 minute of HD video, or 3 minutes of 720p video at a resolution of 320×240 pixels.
It is possible to save up to 1 hour of gameplay footage if you have an external hard drive. It is necessary that your external hard drive has a USB 3.0 connection and is formatted in the NTFS file format. Once your hard drive has been connected to a free USB port, go to the Capture & Share menu and select “Capture Settings” from the drop-down menu. Then, under “Capture Location,” select your external hard drive from your computer’s hard drive.
5. Start the recording by selecting Start Recording. In the Capture & Share menu, it’s the second option from the left. This initiates a new recording session. Instead of recording what has just occurred, use this option to record what is about to occur.
6. Return to the game you were playing. When you return to your game, the gameplay will begin to be recorded automatically.
7. Once more, press the Xbox button. The Xbox button will open the menu when you are ready to stop recording.
8. Select the “Capture & Share” tab from the drop-down menu. To move all the way over to the tab with the arrow pointing up over a box, press the “R” and “L” bumper buttons simultaneously. The Capture & Share menu will appear as a result of this.
9. Select the option to stop recording. This stops the recording and saves the video clip you were currently watching. You can find your saved video clips in the Capture & Share menu by selecting “Recent captures” from the drop-down menu.
Method 6 Using Xbox One
1. Start playing the game you want to record and stop when you’re done. When it comes to recording gameplay on the Xbox One, there are a few options. You can start a new video recording and record for up to 10 minutes, or you can capture the last 5 minutes of gameplay and save it to your computer.
2. To begin, press the Xbox button. It’s the button on the controller that has the Xbox logo on it, located in the top-center. This will bring up the menu.
3. Select View from the drop-down menu. It’s the button with an icon that looks like two overlapping squares on the left side of the screen. The button can be found in the center-left corner of the Xbox controller. This brings up a menu for capturing images.
4. Select Record from the drop-down menu. In the Capture menu, it’s the first option you’ll see. This triggers the recording of a new video. If you have an external hard drive, you can record up to an hour of video, which is more than double the normal limit of 10 minutes. The hard drive must be equipped with USB 3.0 and formatted in the NTFS file system.
Instead, you can choose Capture what happened to capture up to 5 minutes of the previous gameplay video. This is useful if something unexpected happens and you want to capture it on video for later reference.
5. Return to the game you were playing. When you return to your game, the gameplay will begin to be recorded automatically.
6. Once more, press the Xbox button. The Xbox button will open the menu when you are ready to stop recording.
7. To exit, press X. This will bring the recording to a halt and save the video clip. The Manage captures option can be found by pressing the View button on the Xbox controller and selecting Manage captures.
Method 7 Using Nintendo Switch
1. Make sure you have the most recent firmware version. If you want to record gameplay on the Nintendo Switch, you must be using version 4.0.0 or later. Before you begin, make sure your Nintendo Switch is connected to the internet, and then follow the instructions below to update it to the most recent firmware:
Select the System Settings icon on the Home screen. It has an icon that resembles a gear.
Select System Update.
2. Begin by engaging in a game. The Nintendo Switch has the ability to record up to 30 seconds of gameplay in the vast majority of games.
There are some games that are incompatible with video capture. If you receive an alert informing you that the game you are currently playing does not support video capture, please try again at a later time. In the meantime, you may be able to capture a screenshot image by pressing the Share button on your keyboard.
3. Hold down the Capture button for a few seconds. It’s the button that’s square in shape with a circle in the middle. It’s the Joy-Con on the left side of the screen. This will allow you to save up to 30 seconds of previous gameplay time. On the Home screen, you can access saved gameplay footage by selecting it from the Album menu. You can also trim videos and share them on social media platforms directly from within the Album interface.
Method 8 Using a Video Camera or Smartphone
1. Understand when to employ this technique. The best option for recording gameplay from an older console that does not have a capture card may be to use a video camera or the camera app on your smartphone, depending on the situation. Despite the fact that you won’t get perfect quality, you’ll be able to record what you’re doing while you play.
Your smartphone will have difficulty picking up the sound from your television if you are doing so with it.
If at all possible, consider investing in a capture device instead. This type of device is an external device that you simply plug into your computer, making it much simpler to set up than a capture card would be. If you use a capture device, you will be able to record with the highest possible picture and sound quality.
For older systems, such as the NES or Sega Genesis, you may want to record your gameplay with a video cassette recorder (VCR). Better quality recording will result, and you will be able to transfer it to your computer if you have the appropriate equipment.
2. Completely fill the frame of the camera with the television. Making sure that the entire frame is filled with the television image is critical to a successful recording. Make an effort to position the camera in such a way that it is looking directly at the television and that the television image fills the entire frame. Move the camera closer to the television so that the edges of the screen are just barely visible. This will ensure that the entire frame is completely filled with content.
Make certain that your camera is not pointed at an angle, or you will most likely receive glare.
3. It is best not to use the zoom. If your video camera or smartphone has digital zoom, you should avoid using it to record your gaming sessions. Digital zoom will result in a blurry final video, and when filming in this manner, you want as much clarity as possible on the screen.
4. Connect the audio to the camera using the audio cable (if possible). Depending on whether or not you’re using a camcorder, you may be able to route audio from the game through the camcorder’s input. You’ll need a converter for the audio cable from the console in order for it to be able to connect to the input or line-in option on the camcorder. On the majority of smartphones, this is not possible.
Another option for recording with a camcorder is to place a microphone next to your television’s speaker in order to capture the game audio more clearly.
5. Reduce the brightness of the lights. Check to see that no lights are shining directly onto the television screen before you start watching. Because the TV image will glow excessively if the room is completely dark, you don’t want to make the room completely dark. It shouldn’t matter whether or not the lights are aimed directly at the TV screen or camera.
6. Make use of a tripod or other form of stabilisation. The worst thing you can do for clarity is to try to hold the camera steady while the game is being played out in front of you. If your camera is not perfectly steady, it will be difficult to see what is going on during the game. If at all possible, use a tripod. Instead of using a tripod, place the camera or phone on a flat surface and weight it down with books or other heavy objects.
7. While you’re playing, take a seat to the side. If you are sitting directly in front of the screen and the screen is dark, you may appear in the TV reflection if the screen is dark. Avoid being caught in your own reflection while you’re recording by sitting off to the side of the camera.
8. Transfer the completed video to your computer so that you can edit it and upload it. Once you’ve finished recording, transfer the video to your computer so that you can remove anything from the video that you don’t want to be visible in the final product. This is typically used to shorten the setup time or to eliminate tedious parts of the process. Because the sound recording was most likely not of high quality, you may want to completely replace the sound with a soundtrack to make it more professional. After you’ve finished editing your video, you can either upload it to YouTube or keep it on your computer for future reference.
Creative Commons License