A Green Dot card is a prepaid Visa or MasterCard debit card that functions similarly to a prepaid giftcard. These cards, which can be personalised with your name, can be used for debit purchases, reloaded with money, and withdrawn from ATM machines. Knowing the balance on your prepaid Green Dot card can help you avoid being declined for a transaction. There are several ways to check the balance on your Green Dot Card.
Method 1 Checking Your Balance Online
1. Green Dot’s website can be found here. This website can be accessed at any time from any computer or mobile device. This website allows you to check your balance for free.
If you purchased your Green Dot money card from a major retailer, you can also check your balance by visiting the retailer’s website, which is listed on the card.
If you have any problems using the card, you must return to the store where you purchased it.
2. Access the website by logging in. On the right, there is a “Log In” button. Click this button, then enter your User ID and password before clicking the “Log In” button below.
If you don’t already have a User ID, click the “Create One Now” link to create one. You will then be prompted to enter your credit card information and personal information before you can complete the process of creating your account and viewing your balance.
You may also be required to create a password. Make a password that is difficult for others to guess but easy for you to remember.
3. Check your account balance. When you log in, you will be taken to a page that displays your Green Dot balance. If your card’s balance is low, you can reload it from this website.
Take a look at all transactions, including pending purchases. Due to the way vendors process transactions, some purchases may not post to your card for a few days.
There is no charge to reload your Green Dot card if you have set up direct deposit or your government benefits to go directly to your Green Dot card.
Method 2 Checking Your Balance by Phone
1. Contact Green Dot customer service. Green Dot customer service can be reached at 1-866-795-7597. The menu is available in English and Spanish. If you want to talk to a live person about your Green Dot account, you may have to wait a long time.
By becoming a Green Dot VIP, you can gain quick access to Green Dot Customer Care specialists. This costs an extra $4.95 per month, but you won’t have to pay Green Dot non-MoneyPass ATM fees, saving you $2.50 per transaction, and if you lose your card, they’ll ship you a replacement via Federal Express.
2. For a balance inquiry, select the keypad option. When you contact Green Dot customer service, you will be given a number of options. The first option for keypad number one will take you to the balance inquiry screen.
3. When prompted, enter your account and personal information. An automated voice will guide you through a series of steps, beginning with entering your card’s last four digits. Continue to follow the prompts until you are prompted to check your balance.
The telephone method is completely free.
Method 3 Checking Your Balance via Cell Phone
1. Navigate to the mobile browser. Navigate to m.greendot.com using your mobile phone’s browser. This website can be accessed at any time and from any location that has mobile internet service.
You can view your balance, as well as your transaction history, add money to your card, and locate the nearest free ATM, all from this website.
2. Get the Green Dot mobile app. The mobile App provides the same functionality as the internet and mobile website, but with the added convenience of an App. The App uses the GPS on the phone to locate the nearest ATM.
The App can be downloaded from the Green Dot mobile website or the mobile App store. Remember that downloading the App consumes data, so use wireless internet or budget for the additional data usage to avoid a charge.
3. Green Dot Mobile will receive a text message. Green Dot allows customers to text for a total balance reply text. To begin, go to the website and log in to your Green Dot online account. To register your cell phone number, go to your account details page and click directly on the “Mobile” link.
Enter the letters BAL, a space, and the last four digits of your Green Dot Card number. It will look like “BAL XXXX,” with the Xs representing the last four digits. Then send a text message to 43411. The Green Dot Mobile system will then send a text message to your cell phone with the current balance.
To view your transaction history, type HIST followed by a space and the last four digits of your Green Dot Card number.
Please keep in mind that standard text messaging rates apply.
Method 4 Checking Your Balance Using Other Methods
1. Determine the location of a MoneyPass Network ATM. You can use your Green Dot card to withdraw cash from any ATM, just like you would a traditional debit or credit card. There are 22,000 MoneyPass Network ATMs across the country.
2. Insert your card and follow the prompts. To check your balance or withdraw money from your Green Dot card at a MoneyPass Network ATM, you will need the PIN number attached to your card. If you did not create a PIN number when you received the card, please contact customer service at 1-866-795-7597.
For a small fee, you can check your balance at a non-MoneyPass Network ATM. It is free to use a MoneyPass Network ATM.
Personalized cards are the only ones that can use ATMs.
3. Receive balance alerts via email or text message. Visit the website to access your Green Dot online account. To manage and set up your alert criteria, go to your account details screen and click directly on “Account alerts.”
Account Alerts can be set up to display your balance daily or weekly on Mondays.
You can receive text messages or set up e-mail alerts for up to two e-mail addresses.
Creative Commons License