A traditional wire transfer is one in which money is transferred from one bank account to another. You can, however, send money to someone using your credit card if you have one. Using a money transfer website or mobile app is typically the quickest and most convenient method of accomplishing this. Many money transfer apps, on the other hand, only allow for small transfers, and some even have a weekly or monthly maximum amount that you are allowed to send. If you need to send a large sum of money, you should consider using a bank or wire transfer service to avoid these restrictions. Many banks, on the other hand, do not accept wire transfers made using a credit card. Additionally, the fees associated with wiring money from a credit card are frequently higher than the fees associated with wiring cash or money from a bank account.
Method 1 Using a Money Transfer App
1. Compare the various money transfer applications available. The many different money transfer apps available vary in terms of fees, the range of services they provide, and the user interface they provide. In order to receive funds from most money transfer apps, the recipient of the money must first create an account on the app, so keep that in mind when selecting a recipient.
Look for an app that, in addition to being convenient, will allow you to transfer the amount of money you want to transfer to the person you want to transfer it to while charging you the lowest fee possible.
If you’re trying to send money internationally, you’ll have fewer options when it comes to apps to use. Several money transfer apps do not offer support for international transfers at this time. PayPal, OFX, and Western Union are just a few of the apps that accept payments. Pay close attention to the exchange rate, as well as any markup that the transfer company may charge. You can estimate the total cost of sending a specific amount of money using most apps’ calculators.
2. Select the app that best meets your requirements. If you don’t already have an account with the app you’ve chosen, create one right away so that you can transfer your money without delay. It is customary for this to entail the submission of some basic personal information, such as your name, residential address, email address, and phone number.
When signing up for some apps, you may be asked to complete an additional identity verification process in order to have your account verified. Accounts that have been verified typically have more privileges, such as lower fees or the ability to transfer a larger amount of money.
3. Make a connection between your credit card and your account. If you want to link your credit card, you’ll need to provide the account number, expiration date, and security code found on the back. It is possible that you will be required to provide the address associated with the card. Following that, you should be able to make use of your card.
When using some apps, you can add a card by snapping a picture of it’s front and back sides with the camera on your smart phone.
In some cases, you may be able to connect your card directly from your smartphone wallet if you already have your card information stored on your phone.
Tip: Some apps perform a micro-transaction in order to validate your credit card information. It will be necessary for you to check your credit card activity and provide the money transfer app with information about the micro-transaction, such as the amount and the date it was completed, before you can use your card.
4. You must provide specific information about the transfer you wish to make. Some apps allow you to send money to someone with nothing more than their name, email address, or phone number. Other apps may require additional information depending on how the money will be delivered to the recipient.
In some cases, such as when the recipient will be picking up the money in person, you may need to specify a specific location where they will be picking it up.
Providing the account number and routing number (also known as a sort code) associated with the person’s bank account will be required if you are sending the money directly to their bank account. It is possible that you will be required to provide the name and address of the bank.
Tip: Make sure you thoroughly review your transfer request before submitting it. Having any typos or mistakes in the transaction could result in the person receiving no money, and you may have difficulty reversing the transaction.
5. Check to see if the transaction went through successfully. When using a money transfer app, you can usually track the progress of your transaction from within your account. In most cases, transfers are completed within a few hours — and in some cases, within a few minutes.
Furthermore, you may be able to see when the individual actually withdraws the money or transfers it to a different bank account.
A confirmation of receipt of wired funds will be sent to you if the person is picking up the money from an agent in person. Otherwise, you will receive an email when the person receives their wired funds.
Method 2 Completing a Wire Transfer
1. Transfer costs should be compared to those of banks and wire services. When sending money overseas, most banks and wire services charge a one-time fee plus additional fees based on the amount of money you want to send and other factors, such as how quickly you need the money to arrive.
You should compare the exchange rate offered by the transfer service and any markup charged by the service before making an international transfer. It’s likely that the exchange rate offered by a bank will be less favourable than the exchange rate offered by an independent wire transfer service.
Some credit card companies offer account holders the option of making wire transfers. You should be aware that transferring funds in this manner is usually considered a cash advance from your credit card.
Many financial institutions do not allow wire transfers to be made using a credit card. Instead, you must make a wire transfer from your bank account to your checking account. Although it is possible to complete the wire transfer using your credit card, you may be able to do a cash advance first and then deposit the money into your bank account after that.
When using a credit card, the majority of wire transfer services will charge you an additional fee. It could be a one-time fee or a percentage of the total amount you’re attempting to transfer.
Recommendation: If a wire service offers more than one method of sending a wire transfer, some of the methods may be less costly than others. For example, if you come into a local office and complete the transfer in person rather than doing it over the internet, the service may charge you a lower fee.
2. Select the wire transfer service provider that you wish to use. If you’re going to use an online wire transfer service, you’ll most likely have to create an account before you can begin transferring money. If you already have an account with a bank or credit union, you can usually request a wire transfer from them.
Make certain that the service you choose is available in the country where the recipient resides, especially if you are sending money internationally.
3. Record the information you’ll need to send the wire transfer in a notepad or notebook. Apart from the information about yourself and your credit card, you’ll also need the information about the recipient. The account and routing or sort code number, as well as the name and address of the financial institution to which the funds are to be transferred, will be required if you are transferring funds to their bank account.
Check your information with the person who will be receiving it to ensure that you have it correct. If you make a mistake, it is possible that they will never receive the money, and you may not be able to reverse the transaction.
4. Complete the paperwork for the wire transfer. There is usually an online form that you can fill out to provide information about the transfer, including your name and address, credit card number, the name and address of a recipient, and how much money you want to send or receive in exchange for the transfer.
International wire transfers can be made in either your home currency or the recipient’s currency. You can transfer a specific amount in either currency. After that, your money will be converted into the currency of the recipient.
5. Maintain possession of your receipt until the transfer is complete. Unless you have the receipt, you will be unable to reverse the transaction or re-send the money if something goes wrong with it. When wireing money directly from your credit card, you’ll want to double-check your credit card transactions to ensure that the money has been successfully withdrawn from your credit card.
It is possible that the transaction will be completed on the same day if you use an independent wire transfer service. Some transfers, however, may take up to three days, depending on the amount of money being transferred and whether or not the banks are open at the time the transfer is initiated.
Your receipt may include a confirmation number that the recipient must provide in order to pick up the money — this is especially true if the money is being picked up personally.
Creative Commons License