This ementes teaches you how to get started with the KaiOS mobile application on your smartphone. With a valid mobile SIM card inserted, you can use KaiOS to make and receive phone calls, send text messages, check email, browse the internet, and perform a wide range of other tasks.
Method 1 Making a Call
1. Select “Contacts” from the drop-down menu on the right. Below the bottom-right corner of the screen, you’ll find it. This opens your contact list in a new window.
If you’d prefer to make a phone call to someone who isn’t already in your contacts, simply enter their phone number into the keypad and press the phone receiver or Call button to initiate the conversation.
The Contacts app allows you to organise and manage your contacts.
2. Choose the person you want to call from the drop-down menu. Scroll through your contacts using the up and down arrow keys until you reach the person you want to speak with.
3. To make a phone call to the selected contact, press the phone button. The option to Call may be required depending on your phone model and settings. This will place a call for you.
Method 2 Using the Carousel Launcher
1. To launch the carousel launcher, press the left arrow key. The carousel launcher is a collection of icons on the home screen that can be scrolled through in the same way that a carousel would be.
2. Scroll through the apps by using the arrow keys on your keyboard. To open an application, keep scrolling down until the icon for the application you want appears in the centre of the screen.
3. To start the app, press the centre key on your keyboard. The selected application will be displayed in full-screen mode.
If you want to add more apps to your collection, follow the instructions in the Installing New Apps method.
Method 3 Sending a Message
1. Open the Messages application on your phone. Look for an icon that looks like two chat bubbles that are overlapping.
2. Select New to compose a new message.
3. The name or phone number of the person you want to text should be entered here. This information is entered into the “To” field at the top of the email message.
Choose Contacts from the drop-down menu (or press the right button) to display your contact list.
A third option for creating a new text message is to make use of the Google Assistant. To send an SMS, press and hold the centre key for 2 seconds, then say, “SMS (the contact’s name).” Then, from the search results, select the correct contact and press the centre key to confirm your selection. After that, you can speak your message by pressing the centre key; when you stop speaking, the message will be sent automatically.
4. Fill in the blanks with your message. Your message will be entered into the typing area located at the bottom of the display screen.
5. Press the center key to send the message.
6. Google Assistant can be used to send a message. Using Google Assistant, you can compose a text message to a contact by simply speaking into the device. Here’s how it’s done:
To activate Google Assistant, press and hold the centre button for a few seconds.
“SMS [the name of the contact you wish to text],” you can say to someone.
Read the content of your message aloud to your audience. You will see the contents of your message displayed on the screen as soon as you stop speaking.
To send the message, click Send.
7. WhatsApp can be used to send a message. Text messages can be sent through your phone’s WhatsApp application. Here’s how it’s done:
Open the WhatsApp application.
To open the contact, select it and press the centre key on your keyboard.
Fill in the blanks with a message.
To include an emoji in your message, select the smiley face icon from the toolbar (optional).
Include an attachment with your message (optional). Imagery, video, and other forms of media are acceptable. If you choose More, you will be presented with a list of attachment possibilities.
To send a message, press the centre key.
Method 4 Connecting to Wi-Fi
1. Open your Settings. Look for the icon with gears or cogs.
2. Select Wi-Fi.
3. To enable Wi-Fi, select it from the menu bar and press Enter. If Wi-Fi was previously turned off, tapping will activate it. When Wi-Fi is enabled, your phone will begin scanning for available networks to join as soon as it is enabled.
4. Choose a network to which you want to belong. When a network does not demand that you enter a password, you will be connected immediately.
5. If you are asked for your network password, enter it. You must enter the password if the network requires one in order to connect. The Wi-Fi icon (which looks like a cone made up of several curved lines) will appear at the top of the screen once you have successfully connected to Wi-Fi.
Alternatively, if you’re connected to a mobile network, you’ll see the words “3G” or “4G” at the very top of the screen.
Method 5 Connecting to Mobile Data
1. Insert a valid SIM card into your phone and turn it on. Before you can use mobile data, your phone must have a valid SIM card and be activated on the network of your mobile service provider.
2. Open your Settings. Look for the icon with gears or cogs.
3. Select Mobile Network.
4. To enable Mobile Network, press the “M” key. As long as this option is enabled, your phone should be able to connect to the mobile network of your service provider.
Depending on whether you’re connected to the mobile network, you’ll see the letters “3G” or “4G” at the top of the screen.
It is possible that data charges will apply.
Method 6 Installing New Apps
1. Go to the home screen and press the center key. This opens a list of apps on your phone.
2. Press the centre key to select the KaiStore icon from the drop-down menu. The KaiStore icon is shaped like a briefcase with a multicoloured “K” made up of shapes inside it on the outside.
3. Look for a suitable application. Scroll through the categories with the arrow keys until you find the one you want, then press the centre key to see a list of the apps that fall into that category.
Check the Recommended category on a regular basis to stay up to date on the most recent apps for your KaiOS phone.
4. To select an app, press the centre key on your keyboard. This displays information about the app and provides you with the option to begin the download process immediately.
The centre key should be pressed if you already have the app and you see a “Update” option on the information page. The app will then be updated to the most recent version.
When necessary, use the arrow keys to move up and down through the information on the screen.
5. To download the app, press the centre key on your keyboard. As soon as the app has finished downloading, you will see a message stating “Download completed.”
6. To open the app, press the centre key on your keyboard. You can also open the app by selecting its icon from the list of applications on your computer.
Method 7 Searching the Internet
1. Launch the Browser application. You’ll find it in the list of applications.
On your KaiOS-enabled phone, you can also search the web with the help of the Google Assistant. For more information, see Using the Google Assistant on KaiOS for more information.
In addition, the Google app is pre-installed on your phone, which allows you to search the internet and access other Google features. Simply launch the Google app by selecting the multicoloured “G” in your app list to bring up the Google search results.
2. In the Search bar, type in the terms you’re looking for. The bar is located at the very top of the display.
3. Select Go. A list of search results will appear.
Using the arrow keys, you can move through the list of search results.
The centre key is used to navigate to a specific page in the results by scrolling to it and selecting it.
Method 8 Adding an Input Language
1. Open your Settings. It’s the gear or cog icon in your app list.
2. Personalization should be selected. Selecting can be accomplished by scrolling with the arrow keys and then pressing the centre key to select.
3. Select Input methods. This opens your language and input options.
4. Choose your preferred language from the drop-down menu. If you wish, you can include multiple languages and input methods in your application.
When you’re typing in an app or message, you can switch between input languages by pressing and holding the pound (#) key to bring up the input language menu.
Creative Commons License