Signal is a messaging app that can be used on Windows and Mac computers by installing the Signal Desktop Chrome extension. To set up the app, you’ll need to have your mobile device nearby.
1. Launch Google Chrome on your computer. Signal will only work if you have the Chrome web browser installed on your computer. See if the round red, yellow, blue, and green icon can be found in the Windows menu (on a PC) or in the Applications folder (Mac).
2. Navigate to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions. This is the official Google Chrome web store.
3. Type signal into the search box and press ↵ Enter.
4. Click +Add to Chrome next to Signal Private Messenger. A confirmation message will appear.
5. Click Add App. When the installation is complete, a pop-up will appear that says “Welcome to Signal Desktop.”
6. Click Get Started. You will now be prompted to install Signal on your Android or iPhone if you haven’t yet done so.
7. Click Got it. Now you’ll see a QR code, as well as instructions on how to get your mobile device to scan the code.
8. Open Signal on your mobile device. It’s a blue icon with a white chat bubble.
9. Tap ⁝ on the mobile device.
10. Tap Settings on the mobile device.
11. On the mobile device, select Linked devices from the drop-down menu. If you have more than one device connected to Signal, they will all appear here. It will be blank if this is not done.
12. Tap + on the mobile device. Your mobile device’s camera/scanner will appear.
13. With the mobile device, scan the QR code that appears on the computer screen. You’ll see a message asking if you want to link the device after the code has been successfully decoded.
14. Tap Link device on the mobile device. You will see a message that says “Device approved” on the mobile device.
You can now put away your mobile device.
15. In the desktop application, fill in the blank with the name of your computer. It’s the blank space immediately below “This computer’s name will be.” This is done in order to distinguish this computer from any other devices that you may connect to Signal in the near future.
16. Click Looking Good. Signal will now sync your groups and messages. You can now use Signal on your computer.
Creative Commons License