When you install AVG Security Toolbar (aka, AVG Secure Search), it will automatically pre-scan your search results and protect you from malicious websites with its LinkScanner feature. If you installed the AVG toolbar without knowing it, you can remove it by following the steps below and then changing your browser’s homepage back to the original settings or whatever you want.
Method 1 Method One: Uninstall Option
1. Open your default browser software like Mozilla Firefox.
2. Click AVG’s logo next to address bar, scroll down the menu then launch “Uninstall AVG Safeguard toolbar” option.
3. To complete the uninstall, click Remove on the following “AVG Secure Search” wizard.
4. For Windows 8, 7 and Vista users, choose Yes from the below UAC, letting it run AVG’s “ToolbarUnInstaller” program.
5. “Please wait while AVG Secure Search and the toolbar are being removed”.
6. Following that, your Firefox should navigate to the following page, which will inform you that “The AVG SafeGuard toolbar has been uninstalled.” Open Firefox’s Manage Search Engine List, and then remove the remaining “AVG Secure Search” option from the menu.
Method 2 Method Two: Using the Control Panel
1. Click Start button then go to Control Panel.
2. Enter “Uninstall a program” or, “Add/Remove Programs” if you’re using a Windows XP SP3 computer.
3. Locate the unneeded “AVG Safeguard toolbar”, launch Uninstall/Change option or you can directly press ENTER key to proceed with removal progress.
Creative Commons License