This emindsca teaches you how to convert a WMV (Windows Media Video) file into an MP4 video file using the Windows Media Video Converter. When compared to WMV files, MP4 files are more universally playable, which makes converting WMV files to MP4 files a logical choice if you want your video to be playable on virtually any platform. Alternatively, you can use an online service to convert your video if the video is not sensitive or private. HandBrake is a free programme that can be downloaded and used to convert videos.
Method 1 Using HandBrake
1. HandBrake’s configuration file can be downloaded here. Visit https://handbrake.fr/ in your computer’s web browser and then click the red Download HandBrake button in the middle of page to begin downloading HandBrake for free. The installation package will be downloaded to your computer.
The location of the download file or confirmation of the download may be required depending on your browser’s settings before proceeding.
HandBrake is a free video encoding and decoding programme for Windows and Mac computers.
2. HandBrake should be installed. Once the setup file has finished downloading, double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions:
Windows — When prompted, select Yes from the drop-down menu, then click Next, select I Agree, and then click Install. To complete the setup, you’ll need to click Finish.
Handbrake can be installed on a Mac by dragging it onto the Applications folder icon.
3. HandBrake should be opened. Simply click or double-click the HandBrake app icon, which resembles a pineapple next to a drink, to launch the application.
On a Mac, the HandBrake application icon can be found in the Applications folder under Applications > HandBrake.
4. Select File from the drop-down menu. It can be found in the pop-out menu on the left-hand side of the HandBrake application window. When you click on it, the Windows File Explorer is launched.
If the Open Source window does not open automatically, click the Open Source button in the top-left corner.
5. Choose your WMV file from your computer’s hard drive. Navigate to the location of the WMV file you wish to convert and double-click it to select it in the newly opened window that appears.
6. To open the file, click the Open button. In the bottom-right corner of the window, you’ll find it. The HandBrake website will receive your WMV file as soon as it is uploaded.
7. Select “Format” from the drop-down box. This option can be found in the middle of the window, on the right-hand side. There will be a drop-down menu displayed.
If you don’t see this option, first click the Summary tab in the middle of the window to bring up a list of all the options.
8. Click MP4. It’s in the drop-down menu.
9. Select Browse from the drop-down menu. If you look in the bottom-right corner of the HandBrake window, you’ll see this option. A window with the title “Save As” will appear.
On a Mac, the Browse button is located on the far right side of the middle of the window, near the top of the window.
10. Enter the name of the file. Fill in the text box labelled “File name” (or “Name” on a Mac) with whatever you want to call the resulting converted file.
11. Choose a location where you want to save the file. On the left-hand side of the window, select the folder in which you want to save the converted file by clicking on it.
On a Mac, you may need to first select a save location from the “Where” drop-down box, which will appear after you click “Save.”
12. Save your work by clicking on the Save button. In the bottom-right corner of the window, you’ll find it. By doing so, your preferences are saved and the window is closed.
13. Start the encoding process by clicking Start Encode. This green button can be found at the very top of the HandBrake application window. The conversion of your WMV file into an MP4 file is initiated by clicking on it; once the conversion is complete, the MP4 version of your WMV file will be saved under your specified name in the file location you specified.
On a Mac, you’ll simply click the Start here button.
Method 2 Using OnlineConvert
1. Open the OnlineConvert site. Go to https://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp4 in your computer’s web browser.
2. Click Choose File. There’s a grey button near the top of the page that you can click on. A window for the File Explorer (Windows) or the Finder (Mac) will open as a result of clicking it.
3. Select your WMV file. In the window that opened, go to the location of the WMV file you want to convert and click it once to select it.
4. Click Open. It’s in the bottom-right corner of the window. Doing so uploads your WMV file to the OnlineConvert website.
5. Scroll down and click Start conversion. This is near the bottom of the page. OnlineConvert will begin converting your WMV file into an MP4 file.
6. Wait for the converted file to start downloading before continuing. Your WMV file will be uploaded to the website and converted into an MP4 file, after which it will begin downloading back to your computer from the web server.
Before the file will download, depending on your browser’s settings, you may be required to select a save location or confirm the download.
Creative Commons License